My mom has been making cornbread in her cast iron skillet for years. It is always a crowd favorite, especially in the winter with a hot bowl of chili. Pull out your cast iron pan and get to making the best cornbread you'll ever have!
Prep Time25 minutes
Cook Time25 minutes
Total Time50 minutes
1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk shake before measuring
2 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and position a rack in the middle. Add a stick of butter to the cast iron and place in oven and let melt. Once melted, take out and let the butter slightly cool.
2. While the skillet is in the oven, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Add the buttermilk and eggs. Mix together well to combine, then add in the slightly cooled melted butter from the cast iron. Mix again until 'just' combined (don't over mix).
4. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Listen to that sizzle! That's what you want.
5. Bake until the cornbread begins to brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean about 25 minutes. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.