It’s taco Tuesday in our house and I’m switching things up and making a burrito casserole with leftover shredded chicken from my roasted chicken I made this weekend!
This is such a light and easy meal that you can turn into a burrito bowl for less carbs! Let’s just get right to it!
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup dry long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/3 teaspoon cilantro, fresh (chopped up) or dried
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen or canned
- 14oz can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 5 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack
- 1 jalapeño, sliced and de-seeded (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Take your cooked chicken and shred it (3 large breasts will do!)
- In a 9×13 baking dish, add onion, bell pepper, uncooked rice, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, garlic powder, oregano and salt and stir to combine.
- Slowly add in the broth and mix.
- Add chicken, black beans and corn to the baking dish and mix well.
- Cover the baking dish transfer to the oven to bake for 50 minutes.
- After it’s cooked, uncover and add cheese on top and bake uncovered for a final 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted and is slightly golden.
- Remove form the oven, serve either in a bowl or with flour tortillas!
Eat Till It Hurts Friends!