Needing a soup you can literally dump all the ingredients into, let it cook and come home to deliciousness?? Look no further! I love this chicken and wild rice soup!
Let’s just get right down to business!
- 1 box of Rice A Roni long grain & wild rice with seasoning packet
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped celery, carrots, and onions
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup to 1 1/3 milk and potentially up to 2 cups additional milk or broth
Note: if you want to skip making the roux (flour, butter and milk) add in a can of cream of chicken to make the soup creamy and a little milk.
- Place the box of wild rice, seasoning packet, raw chicken, celery, carrots, onion, chicken broth, and poultry seasoning in a crockpot. Cover and cook on high 5 hours or low for 7-8 hours. The chicken should be cooked through and the rice should be soft. There will be extra liquid in the crockpot; do not drain.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crockpot and allow to cool slightly. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Return the shredded chicken to the crockpot.
- Melt butter in a saucepan and add the flour and let the mixture bubble for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk until a thick, creamy mixture forms.
- Add this to the rice and chicken in the crockpot and stir to combine. Add extra water or milk to adjust the consistency as you like it. Season with additional salt and pepper.