Stop everything that you’re doing, get to the store and grab yourself some chicken and onions. We’re making a twist on the classic French onion soup with a chicken casserole.
At this point I think you know what I’m going to say… IT’S SO GOOD!
Let’s get started!
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella and Gouda
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large onions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
1. To make the chicken casserole: Preheat your oven to 400°F. Lightly grease baking dish and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-8 minutes until soft.
3. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized – about 15 minutes. Pour in 1/4 cup of broth to deglaze if your pan gets too dry, and keep stirring until onions are browned.
4. Stir in fresh minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat and allow to cool slightly.
5. Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Arrange chicken breasts in the baking dish.
6. Spread caramelized onions on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven (or more, depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts), until fully cooked and cheese is bubbly. Then broil for 2 minutes to crisp up the cheese!
Eat Till It Hurts Friends!