Y’all, this is by far one of my favorite ways to making a quick an easy lasagna with a twist! The chicken pockets filled with ricotta and topped with cheese and crushed tomatoes is… oh my GOSH… SO GOOD!
I had the pleasure of cooking with my pal Morgan over at @olivebranchcottage and have included her recipe below. Y’all need to check her out, she is hilarious!
Let’s get started!
- 4-5 chicken breasts
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (for the sauce) or your favorite pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4-5 mozzarella slices or Gouda slices
- 2 Tbsps italian seasons
- 1 Tbsp dried each of basil and parsley
- 2 Tbsp garlic salt, divided
- A dash of salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a baking dish with cooking oil or use an oven safe cast iron pan and grease it!
- Cut a deep pocket into the side of each chicken breast.
- Season each breast with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg together with ricotta cheese, parmesan, fresh parsley, thyme, 2 Tablespoons of basil, and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine mixture.
- Take a cast iron pan or regular pan and sear both sides of the breast, 3 minutes on each side.
- Stuff the ricotta mixture equally into each chicken breast pocket and if not using an oven safe pan, gently place the stuffed breasts into the prepared dish.
- Place your mozzarella or Gouda slices on each piece of chicken. Spoon crushed tomatoes or pasta sauce evenly over the chicken breasts.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and enjoy!
Eat Till It Hurts Friends!
Here is Morgan’s recipe!