I never liked meatloaf. When my mom would make it with ketchup and bbq sauce I literally was that kid that played with my food and would rather build it into a fort then eat it.
So naturally as I got older and moved out I had no ambitions of making it on my own. I was having dinner with a friend who ordered meatloaf at the restaurant and she asked if I wanted to try a bite. I said I didn’t like meatloaf but it had been years since having it so I took a small piece and dang if I wasn’t hooked! The flavor was different, it tasted different and there was no trace of ketchup or bbq sauce!
I set out to make it and tweaked my spice combo until coming up with the perfect spices to accompany my meatloaf. I took it a step further and turned my meatloaf into a casserole and have loved topping it now with mashed potatoes and cheese for a cozy casserole dish.
Let’s get started!
Let’s get started!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons meatloaf seasoning (see below) or use your own seasonings!
- Mashed Potatoes (make your own or see my recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 375. Start by mixing you beef, milk, eggs, breadcrumbs and seasoning in a bowl until well combined.
- Put your meat mixture in a greased casserole dish (10×10 or 9×13) and top with mashed potatoes. Make sure the potatoes cover the whole top. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 1 hour.
Mashed Potato Directions
I love rich mashed potatoes and love cooking them in my instant pot. Either way you like to make them, when you’re ready to mash I add in 1/2 cup to 1 cup of milk, 1/2 block of cream cheese, a sprinkle of Asiago, salt, pepper and garlic salt.
Meatloaf Seasoning Mix
- 4 teaspoons dried mustard
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
Mix all together and store in a spice jar. This will make enough for 3 meatloafs. You can always double this mix for larger quantities and store in a larger jar.