My Aunt Kathy is pure southern goodness! My mom’s side of the family lives in the South and I had the best of both worlds living in Lancaster but spending a lot of time in the South. I come from a huge family so our gatherings are nothing short of fun and filled with the best Southern Style food.
It’s requested when Aunt Kathy comes to visit or we go to visit her that her famous Spiced Applesauce Cake is made. Y’all, it’s the best! I finally asked her for the recipe and am so excited to share it with y’all!
Let’s get started!
- 2 C sugar
- 1 C vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp each of nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 3 C flour
- 2 C applesauce
- 1/2 C strawberry jam
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 C each of raisins and nuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 325. Start by mixing your sugar, oil, eggs and spices together.
- In a separate bowl, whip your applesauce, jam and baking soda (careful! The soda makes it foam up quick!). Add to sugar mixture.
- Add in the flour and mix well.
- Add raisins and nuts (mix with a little bit of flour) if desired.
- Pour into a greased Bundt pan and back for 80 minutes.
- Optional: top the cake once cooked with a vanilla or brown sugar icing!
I hope you enjoy this cake as much as my family does!