Tomato Pie… where do I begin?! There’s a cute little cafe in Lititz, Pa called… you guessed it, “Tomato Pie” and this cafe is unreal. The best food, lattes and guessed it again.. TOMATO PIE!
When I moved away from Lancaster I craved this pie and wanted to recreate it… 5 years in the making and I finally nailed it! The key is to make sure you drain the tomatoes! Give them a good hour, prep everything else and you’ll be good to go once their drained. Next, is the cheese… don’t switch it up!
Let’s go ahead and get started!
- 1 9inch pre-baked pie crust (10 minutes in the oven for pre-baked)
- 4-5 tomatoes, largely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 T each dried basil and parsley
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and place your pie crust in the oven to prevalence for 10-15 minutes. While the crust is baking, dice up your tomatoes and place in a colander and add salt on top then a piece of paper towel and let drain for an hour. Take the pie crust out and set aside.
- While the tomatoes are draining combine the mozzarella cheese, Asiago cheese, Italian blend cheese, mayonnaise , garlic powder and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Once the tomatoes are drained, lightly pat them dry and place in the pie crust. Gently mix in the basil and parsley. Spread the cheese mixture over the top of the pie.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 30 minutes, uncovered, until the cheese begins to get lightly brown on top. If desired, broil at the end for 1 minute to get cheese golden. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve warm. Refrigerate the leftovers!
EAT TILL IT HURTS FRIENDS!