I love a good broccoli soup and was craving some with some sharp cheddar cheese this past weekend. It’s so good with some crusty bread and I even like to take my immersion blender to make it a little thick while leaving behind some of the bigger chunks of broccoli florets.
This soup is so easy to make and takes just 45 min to whip up and enjoy for the evening!
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 45 min
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ lb fresh broccoli (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter in a large pot, once translucent, whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Optional: take an immersion blender to blend some of the veggies for a thicker soup.
- Add salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve.
Eat till it hurts friends!