I love a good broccoli soup and was craving some with some sharp cheddar cheese this past weekend. It’s so good with some crusty bread and I even like to take my immersion blender to make it a little thick while leaving behind some of the bigger chunks of broccoli florets.
This soup is so easy to make and takes just 45 min to whip up and enjoy for the evening!
Let’s get started!
- 1 stick of butter
- ½ medium chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup heavy cream or half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté the onion, carrot and broccoli with the stick of butter in a large pot, once soft, add flour and mix.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth then add milk and cream. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes until thick.
- Once thick, add cheese, mix and let simmer again for 10 minutes.
- Optional: take an immersion blender to blend some of the veggies for a thicker soup.
- Add salt and pepper then serve.
Eat till it hurts friends!