Y’all there is nothing more comforting then a cup of creamy hot tomato soup with grilled cheese. Literally, it is one of my favorite go to soups in the fall and winter months. I grew up making it out of a can until I was older and realized it really wasn’t that hard to make it homemade! There are many variations to making homemade tomato soup… there’s the lengthy roasted tomato version (which I will share in another post) or the other version where you boil the tomatoes, remove the skins, pulse and so on…. let me just give you the easy version for now to help get you more comfortable!
The best part about this homemade version… it’s made with just a few simple ingredients…
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 28 – 32 oz can of crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes.
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried basil
- 1 cup of half & half (or more if you want it creamier)
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until it is translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes over medium low heat.
- Add the basil and check and see if salt and pepper is needed.
- Add in the half & half and blend with an immersion blender or place in your blender to make the soup smooth.
- Top with fresh basil, croutons or serve with a grilled cheese
Note: If you’d rather skip the blending part, you can either keep the soup chunky or switch out the diced tomatoes for another can of crushed tomatoes.
Grilled Cheese Variations:
I need a grilled cheese with my tomato soup and my favorite version is a pickle grilled cheese. Yup, you read that right! I use thinly sliced sandwich pickles and place them between the cheese so the cheese melts around the pickle. Once you try it, you won’t go back!
Other variations include bacon slices, 3 different cheese, tomato slices and apples. I like my grilled cheese however I can get it!
EAT TILL IT HURTS FRIENDS!