Let me warn you now… we’re heading into soup season folks and I have all intentions of adding as many soups to the blog and in my tummy as I can get this season! I hope we can still be friends? I mean, truthfully, you can’t trust someone who doesn’t like soup, right?! 😂
Moving along…. this chicken and wild rice soup is one of my favorites and if you’ve noticed from previous recipes I tend to put my own spin on the traditional recipes that everyone is used to. This soup is hearty and I add a few extra veggies to it for the purpose of making it flavorful and colorful. So shall we? Let’s get cooking!
- 2 cups diced mixed veggies (onion, carrots, celery, corn, greenbeans)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk, divided
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups of cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4.3-ounce box of Rice a Roni Long Grain and Wild Rice+ seasoning packet
- Place the mixed vegetables and olive oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot.
- Allow the vegetables to simmer over medium heat for around 10 minutes or until the onions are translucent and vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic cloves, water, 1 cup of milk and chicken stock and stir until combined.
- Add the pepper, oregano, bay leaves and shredded chicken. Mix until combined.
- Let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the remaining 1 cup of milk with the flour until there are no lumps. (This will make the soup thick)
- Pour this into the soup mixture and whisk until combined.
- Place the long grain and wild rice and the seasoning packet into the soup and mix until combined. Allow the soup to simmer for 20 more minutes or until the rice is tender.
Once the soup is done, serve it with crusty bread and as usual EAT TILL IT HURTS FRIENDS!